Broccoli Puree Soup
2 pounds organic broccoli florets
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
3 cups water
1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
Salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
1. Steam broccoli florets for 5 minutes or until tender. Shock the broccoli (submerge it in icy water) to stop the cooking process and to retain its green color. Strain the broccoli, shaking the colander to remove excess liquid. Transfer broccoli to a food processor and chop until pasty. Transfer broccoli into a container, cover and refrigerate.
2. Place a pot over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes. Add thyme leaves and stir for a few seconds. Add water and coconut milk and season with salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Then lower heat to medium and reduce by ¼.
3. Add chopped broccoli to reduced liquid. Increase heat to high and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
4. Remove pot from stove and fill a blender half-way with soup. Carefully pulse liquid with blender lid slightly ajar and a kitchen towel in your hand over the lid. (This releases any steam the hot soup builds up as it’s processed.) After a few pulses, turn the blender on high for 2 minutes. Repeat this process until all the soup is blended.
5. Taste and adjust seasoning. Stir in remaining tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.