Category Archives: Recipes
Garlic Roasted Broccoli
- 2 heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss the broccoli with melted coconut oil, salt, black pepper and garlic. Spread the broccoli in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until florets are tender enough to pierce with a fork and the edges are browning, about 15 minutes. Turn once halfway through the baking process and add red pepper flakes, if using. After baking, squeeze lemon juice liberally over the broccoli before serving.
Quick Chicken Curry
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons oil (coconut, olive or algae)
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2-3 teaspoons jarred ginger puree or finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 pinches saffron threads (optional)
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes (or more for more heat)
- Juice of half a lime
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot starch (optional to thicken sauce)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro or Italian parsley (optional garnish)
- Turn thighs skin side down and trim chicken thighs of extra skin and fat. Turn over, skin side up and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic.
- In a medium bowl stir or whisk together coconut milk, broth, garlic, curry powder, ginger, saffron, red pepper and lime juice. Set it near the stove as you cook the chicken.
- Place a medium saute or fry pan large enough to hold chicken in a single layer over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the oil, then add the chicken thighs skin side down. Turn heat down to medium low. Cook chicken until the skin side is golden, 5-7 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate or rimmed baking sheet and pour off extra fat. Add chicken back to the pan top side up.
- Pour the milk-broth mixture around the pieces. Bring the pan to a simmer, cover and turn to heat to low. Cook the chicken for approximately another 7-10 minutes, or until they reach 165°F internally. They cook pretty quickly.
- You can serve the chicken right away with the pan juices. If you want to thicken the juices, remove the thighs to a platter. Whisk the arrowroot starch with 1 tablespoon of water until smooth and add to the pan, stirring until smooth and thickened, about 1 minute. Serve sprinkled with cilantro or parsley.
Note – If you want a very smooth sauce, pulse in a blender for a few seconds.
1 lb beef
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper
28 oz can crushed tomatoes (no sugar added)
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
3 medium zucchini, sliced 1/8″ thick
15 oz ricotta
16 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
1 large egg
In a medium sauce pan, brown meat and season with salt. When cooked drain. Add olive oil to the pan and saute garlic and onions about 2 minutes. Return the meat to the pan, add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer on low for at least 30-40minutes, covered. Do not add extra water, the sauce should be thick.
Preheat oven to 350°.
In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and egg. Stir well.
In a 9×12 casserole spread some sauce on the bottom and layer the zucchini to cover. Then place some of the ricotta cheese mixture, then top with the mozzarella cheese and repeat the process until all your ingredients are used up. Top with sauce and mozzarella and cover with foil.
Bake 45 minutes covered at 375°, then uncovered 15 minutes. Let stand about 5 – 10 minutes before serving
Crock Pot Bolognese Sauce
- 4 oz pancetta, chopped (or center cut bacon)
- 1 tbsp butter (or olive oil)
- 1 large white onion, minced
- 2 celery stalks (about 3/4 cup), minced
- 2 carrots (about 3/4 cup), minced
- 2 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 – 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- salt and fresh pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup half & half cream
In a large deep saute pan, sauté pancetta on low heat until the fat melts, about 4-5 minutes. Add butter, onions, celery and carrots and cook on medium-low heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
Increase flame to medium-high; add meat, season with salt and pepper and sauté until browned. Drain the fat then add wine; cook until it reduces down, about 3-4 minutes.
Add to crock pot. Add tomatoes, bay leaves, salt and pepper; cover and set slow cooker to LOW 6 hours.
After the 6 hours, adjust salt and pepper to taste, add half & half and parsley; stir and serve over your favorite veggie pasta or spaghetti squash.
Hot Artichoke Dip
Two 14 oz. cans artichoke hearts, drained
One 8 oz. block cream cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
2 green onions, chopped
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
freshly ground black pepper
To begin preheat oven to 350. Add one can of artichokes, the cream cheese, and mayonnaise to bowl of food processor. If you don’t have a food processor do small batches in blender or simply chop and stir together. Sprinkle in cayenne pepper to taste. Add green onions to the bowl. Pulse mixture 6 to 7 times. You don’t want to liquefy it, just get artichokes all chopped up and mixed with the other ingredients. Mix in parmesan and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Roughly chop artichokes from the remaining can. Get them down to bite size pieces. Add artichoke pieces to dip and stir together gently. Pour mixture into ovenproof safe dish and bake for 15 to 20 minutes til heated through and bubbly. Serve with white button mushrooms….or a spoon.
2 large eggplant, sliced
2 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
Brush the eggplant with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill on both sides over medium heat until just tender, not mushy. Transfer from the grill to a serving platter. Drizzle with remaining olive oil, and top with feta and chopped mint. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve warm or chilled.
Bacon stuffed Cherry Tomatoes
6 slices bacon, cooked
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/2 tsp lemon zest
salt and pepper to taste
24 cherry tomatoes
Finely chop the bacon. Combine the bacon, mayonnaise, basil, lemon zest and salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir well.
Wash and stem the cherry tomatoes. Cut the top 1/4 of the tomato off and remove the seeds and juice with the blunt tip of a butter knife.
To stuff the tomatoes, add the bacon mixture to a 1 quart freezer bag (or pastry bag) and cut the left bottom tip off, leaving about a 1/2 inch opening. Pipe the bacon mixture into your tomatoes. Place on a serving dish on a bed of coarse salt to keep them from rolling around – serve cold or at room temperature.
Grilled Tuna Nicoise Salad
1 pound Ahi tuna steaks
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon mayo
sea salt and pepper
8 cup leaf lettuce
8 hard boiled eggs, quartered
2 cups cooked cauliflower
2 cups blanched green beans
2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
1/4 cup mayo
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
sea salt and pepper to taste
Combine mustard, mayo, and pepper in a small bowl. Coat the tuna steaks thickly with mixture. Grill over medium heat for about 2 minutes per side, longer if you like your tuna well done. Remove and slice the tuna.
Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients. Place the lettuce on a platter and arrange the veggies and tuna on the plate. Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve.
Rosemary Balsamic Grilled Pork Tenderloin
2 – 3lbs pork tenderloin
2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup no sugar added balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil salt and pepper
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, and make sure the meat is well coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Remove from the marinade and grill over medium heat for about 4 minutes per side, or until a meat thermometer in the thickest part registers 145 degrees.
Remove from the grill and let the meat rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Almond Butter Fudge
- 1 cup natural, creamy almond butter
- ¼ cup organic coconut oil, melted
- ¼ tsp natural vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl until smooth
- Line a square cake pan with parchment paper
- Spread mixture evenly in pan and freeze for several hours (until almost solid)
- Remove from pan and cut into squares
- Transfer squares to plastic bag or airtight container
- Store in freezer